The Relevance of God's Word


Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Fig Leaves Did not Remove their Shame! Genesis 3:6-10


When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the LORD God called to the man, “Where are you?”

10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”

They were tempted, they ate, they saw they were naked, and they made fig leaves to cover their nakedness. This is our own vicious cycle of temptation, sin and attempts to rid ourselves of the guilt and shame. But does the shame go away, in our own attempts, efforts and resources, merits and works? Not at all, in fact the guilt and the shame remains and in their own attempts and efforts they did hide from the LORD GOD from among the trees of the garden. Why? their sin, guilt and shame caused them to hide from God's Holy presence. Jesus indeed said, in John 3:19  "This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. 21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

Their works of righteousness were but temporary coverings of fig leaves. Indeed, their righteous deeds are like filthy rags before the Lord God Almighty. Our works of righteousness are indeed filthy rags.Mere temporary coverings of fig leaves that will not cloth themselves in the sight of God. And In the sight of God, He see through our coverings and sees our nakedness and shame.

But God in His mercy sought after Adam and Eve in the cool of the day. Called them out, and His calling to them was ever so effectual that they could no longer hid from God's presence, they could no longer resist His calling, but Adam said, I heard you...I was afraid...because of my sin, guilt and shame...I was naked... resulting in me avoiding the light because my deeds were evil ...so I hid...

God Confronts their wickedness and condemns their sin and cursed them for their sin and rebellion, but it Does not end there, for it is not final, He promises a future Seed and blessing of the Messiah, His only begotten Son who would atone for their Sin and cleanse them in His Blood and make them whole and Righteous in His Son, future though the promise maybe. It was predetermined in His Sovereign Eternal Plan.

So it is in my need for God's mercy and Grace, no matter what I do, I can never cover up my Sin, shame and guilt it will always remain, until  I fall helpless before the throne of Grace recognizing my Nakedness, Shame and guilt of my own sin; Acknowledge that the penalty of my sin was suffered and endured through Christ's Vicarious death on the Cross and in His Shed blood, do I indeed receive cleansing, and clothing in the the Righteousness of Christ credited to my account; indeed Justified By God!

God in His grace provided clothing for them in the provision of His sacrifice, and they were indeed clothed.
They were Clothed in God's provision. And the promise for Eternal life was indeed preserved for them as they were cast out of the garden of Eden.
3: 21 The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. 22 And the LORD God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” 23 So the LORD God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. 24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side[c] of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

God indeed made Jesus who knew no sin, become sin for me so that I might be made the righteousness of Christ. Christ indeed became naked and suffered the guilt and sham I deserve that I maybe clothed in His blood! 2 Corinthians 5:21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Indeed, I am truly clothed in God's provision and in His provision alone!
I come to the foot of the Cross and behold the pure, holy, obedient righteous life of Christ hung Naked on the cross bearing my sin, shame and nakedness, I go to the foot of the cross only to see my own nakedness and sin and shame exposed at the foot of the cross, only to be clothed in the Blood of Christ!

Revelation 7:14 I answered, “Sir, you know.” And he said, “These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.














No comments:

Post a Comment